Minutes of Parish Council meeting July 20th 2021

WHITE COLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at White Colne Village Hall on Tuesday 20th July 2021 at 7.30pm

Present: Cllr Batchford, Cllr Bond, Cllr Paxton, Cllr Saggers, Cllr Taylor (Chairman), Cllr Wada, Cllr Watt. Also present: Clerk P Palfreyman, Essex County Council (ECC) Cllr Siddall, Braintree District Council (BDC) Cllr Courtauld, and 1 member of the public

315.APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr G Spray(BDC)

316.DECLARATION OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS ON ITEMS SHOWN ON THIS AGENDA.

Cllr Bond declared a non-pecuniary interest in planning application number 21/02045/TPOCON as the location of the application is opposite his private address.

317.CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES OF LAST MEETING

The minutes of the last parish council meetings on 5th May 2021 and 20 June 2021, which had previously been circulated, were agreed as a true record.  

318.MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES NOT DEALT WITH ELSEWHERE

Minutes 5 May 2021 – Cllr Bond advised he had ordered some daffodil bulbs for the Village Green.

Minutes 20 June 2021 – Cllr Bond confirmed that the anchor for the Tommy on the village green would cost £50.

319.TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM ESSEX COUNTY COUNCILLOR AND BRAINTREE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS

Cllr Courthauld

Some complaints have been received about overgrown verges.  Wendy Schmidt, BDC officer has advised that no accidents have been caused by overgrown vegetation and BDC are going to commission a scientific report into the improved wildlife and accident rate caused by overgrown verges at junctions.

Potholes, roads and ditches were in a bad state but seem to be better now.  Farmers are concerned that when they drive their heavy plant, the state of the roads will damage them.

The BDC climate change emergency states we should be prepared for extreme weather and make sure that roads, ditches, potholes and rivers are maintained.  Officers at ECC say they are aware of this need.

Cllr Siddall

Cllr Siddall stated he was pleased to be at the meeting.  He supports the overgrown verges in the right places but not where visibility or high speeds are an issue.  At the 2nd meeting of the full council last week, held at the athletics stadium, the agenda was about levelling up because of the pandemic.  

The new ECC leaders’ strategy is Renewal, Equality and Ambition and he is keen to all work together and not in silos.

COVID 19 has seen some devastating effects but has also seen great community spirit.  The pandemic is now hospitalising younger people but for shorter stays and the figures are 29 cases per 100 000 and there have been significant increases in the last week.  From 53179 PCR tests, 8% showed a positive result. The biggest percentage of cases fall within the 29 to 49 years old age range. The number of beds taken up a result of COVID 19 is 5% which equates to the Jan/Feb 2021 figures and is around 55 -60 people in hospital locally.

Cllr Siddall in now the Braintree LHP chairman.  A meeting was held last week and much work is to be done. Some schemes have been listed for 3 to 4 years which is not acceptable.

320.PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS

The meeting was suspended for public questions and statements

Has the swing been reinstated at the play area?  This was confirmed by Cllr Taylor.

Are the meetings of 5 May published on the website?

This was confirmed by Cllr Taylor.

The meeting was resumed

321.PLANNING MATTERS(a) Applications:

21/02045/TPOCON  17 Colneford Hill White Colne Essex CO6 2PJ

Notice of intent to carry out works to tree in a Conservation Area – Fell Sycamore too close to property as it grew as a weed – No comment(b) Applications approved by Braintree District Council – None(c) Any other planning matters raised by Members – Colne Commercials enforcement notice was served again as it was not originally sent to all the owners.

322.COMMUNITY LIASON

(a) To receive an update on the Village Survey

All of the surveys were delivered some later than others as they were originally missed.  

Eight responses have been received to date and councillors were reminded to encourage the residents to respond.

(b) Any other matter raised by members 

The book swap has been moved from the defibrillator phone box to the village hall porch.  No feedback on this has been given.

The reporting system for the defibrillator was called Webnos.  A new system has been introduced by the ambulance service which will mean there is just one register. This is called The Circuit and is user friendly, will allow guardians to be added and will meet the statutory requirements. The Clerk will be added and a guardian.

323.WHITE COLNE MEADOWS

(a) To consider the recommendations for the upkeep of the play area     equipment

It was agreed to ask Mortimer Contracts for a quote for this work and to ask them to look at the bridge on the play equipment and level it up. A budget for the play area maintenance needs to be considered.  New signs for the basketball area are also needed. Cllr Bond will look into this.

(b) Any other matters raised by members

There is some parking on The Meadows by allotment users which should be restricted to disabled parking only. Cllr Bond suggested some options to resolve this would be telescopic posts or a bird mouth fence.  

324.FINANCIAL MATTERS

(a) Payment of accounts since past meeting

(b) Financial statement

     The clerk advised that the financial report had been previously circulated   

     and there were no questions.(d) Any other financial matters

The clerk advised that the budget report had been previously circulated and there were no questions.

324.VILLAGE HALL

(a)To receive an update of future and regular bookings

The regular cleaner is isolating from COVID 19, so the former cleaner has agreed to stand in as a relief cleaner. The COVID 19 cleaning regime will continue which takes longer and costs more.

(b) Any other matter raised by members 

A request has been made for a dog training class in the village hall with between 15 and 30 dogs in two classes.  The Council agreed not to approve this booking as the keep fit classes use the floor for the exercises.

The Council agreed to ask the former cleaner if she would be prepared to be the relief cleaner when the regular cleaner is on annual leave or unwell.

The Clerk asked the Council to consider an extra subscription to the RCCE for guidance on Village Hall management and a copy of their generic contract at a cost of £60 for the subscription and £35 for the contract.  In the first instance, the Council will liaise with other councils for further information and if not suitable, it was agreed the payments could be made.

The quote for 8 inch logs 3 meters long in the village hall car park to protect the football pitch from cars being driven on to the pitch, are £110. Railwayssleepers are £34 each and there will be extra costs for stakes and labour.  It was agreed to purchase the logs.

    325. HIGHWAYS

    (a) To receive a report of the meeting with ECC Cllr Chris Siddall 

     The meeting was suspended for Cllr Siddall to speak.  Cllr Siddall stated that 

the LHP chart confirms there is money available and the scheme costs £195000.  Cllr Siddall will tell the ECC officers the Council agree the revised scheme and would like to pursue this.  He will check that it will include the granite curbing at the top of the green which was in the original drawing.

Other queries were:• The 40mph speed limit from the A1124 from Colne Commercials – previously advised this had gone through in January 2021.• Speed checks were due to start in April 2021 but have not been seen.• Bures Road – problems with ice at the bottom of the road in the winter.  Advised it had been added to the gritting schedule.• Footpath provision from Boley Road junction to Colne Commercials toallow residents to walk to the village and to link White Colne to Chappel.• Verge parking 79 – 101 Colchester – causes a safety issue

The meeting reopened.

    (b) To discuss a ‘No Right Hand Turn for HGV’s’ sign at the top of the Village 

    Green. Discussed in 325(a).

    326.ALLOTMENTS

(a) To receive a report about amendments to the agreement

Cllr Taylor and Cllr Wada will meet to review the agreement. There is a legal requirement to allow rabbits to be kept on allotments.

(b) To discuss the waiting list policy

It was agreed that non residents would not longer be allowed to rent the allotments and non residents on the waiting list would need to be advised.(e) Any other matters raised by members

A rent review will take place once it is known how much water is being used.

Cllr Bond suggested that pigs could be used to grub out the heritage orchard.

The gate to The Chase is still to be repaired by Bill Mapes.

327.CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

Nothing to report

328.TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS RECEIVED SINCE THE PREPARATION OF THE AGENDA WHICH THE CHAIRMAN CONSIDERS URGENT

Nothing to report

There being no further business the parish council meeting closed at 21.00pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Website Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: